The Wellcome Trust-MRC Institute of Metabolic Science (IMS) is a purpose built centre on the Addenbrooke's Biomedical Campus dedicated to research, education, prevention and clinical care in the areas of obesity, diabetes and related diseases, all of which are major and increasing threats to public health, both in the UK and worldwide.
Almost a quarter of all adults and one in five children in the UK are considered obese, and these numbers continue to increase. Obesity significantly increases the risk of developing life-threatening conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, osteoarticular and reproductive diseases, reducing both quality of life and life expectancy of affected individuals as well as adding significantly to healthcare costs.
Led by Professor Sir Stephen O'Rahilly and Professor Nick Wareham, the goal of the IMS is to promote world-leading research by bringing together clinicians, laboratory and clinical scientists and epidemiologists to forge the multidisciplinary links that will improve understanding of the causes and consequences of these conditions and allow advances in basic science to be rapidly applied to improving patient care and disease prevention.
The IMS provides:
- A first-class clinical service for patients
- State-of-the-art facilities for laboratory science, clinical and epidemiological research
- An integrated environment that promotes cross-fertilization of ideas between clinicians, laboratory scientists and clinical scientists
- Outstanding training opportunities for both scientists and clinicians
- The opportunity for rapid, effective ‘translation’ of fundamental advances in scientific and clinical research for patient benefit
People with type 2 diabetes are often encouraged to lose weight. And recent studies have shown that losing a lot…
The Learned Society of Wales has today announced 48 new Fellowships including one new honorary Fellowship, which is awarded to…
Professor Sir Stephen O’Rahilly, Director of the Institute of Metabolic Science Metabolic Research Laboratories, will be awarded the Galen Medal…