The Institute of Metabolic Science (IMS) is a purpose built centre on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus dedicated to research, education, prevention and clinical care in the areas of obesity, diabetes and related diseases, all of which are major and increasing threats to public health, both in the UK and worldwide.
The IMS provides:
- A first-class clinical service for patients
- State-of-the-art facilities for laboratory science, clinical and epidemiological research
- An integrated environment that promotes cross-fertilization of ideas between clinicians, laboratory scientists and clinical scientists
- Outstanding training opportunities for scientists and clinicians
- The opportunity for rapid, effective translation of fundamental advances in scientific and clinical research for patient benefit.
The IMS comprises:
Message from the Co-Directors
Diabetes, obesity and related metabolic and endocrine diseases are major and growing threats to public health worldwide.
In recognition of this, the University of Cambridge, the Medical Research Council (MRC) and Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust joined in partnership to create a unique institute.
The IMS brings together laboratory and clinical scientists with epidemiologists and clinicians to forge the multidisciplinary links that will be necessary if advances in basic science are to be rapidly and usefully applied to human health.
The generosity of research funders, in particular the MRC and Wellcome, has allowed Cambridge to nurture a world class group of researchers who will greatly benefit from the close interactions provided by the IMS.
We are enormously grateful to the many organisations, including Wellcome, the MRC, the National Institute for Health Research, the British Heart Foundation, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Diabetes UK and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and who continue to provide generous support for our ongoing research and facilities.
Professor Nick Wareham & Professor Sir Stephen O’Rahilly, Co-Directors of the Institute of Metabolic Science